Sunday September 21, 2014
Designing a Passive House can be challenging. designPH was developed to simplify the design process for achieving the Passive House standard. The recently released plug-in for SketchUp provides a 3D modelling interface that works together with the Passive House Planning Package (PHPP). Users can create a building model, assign building components, and select a location. A simplified annual energy calculation provides a quick test of the design. Once a compliant design is achieved, key building characteristics can be exported for integration into PHPP. In this day-long course, participants will learn how to use designPH for the design and certification of Passive House buildings. Participants will be guided step-by-step through the building design process, from building model creation to exporting to PHPP. A major focus will be on iterative design to achieve the Passive House criteria. A case study will provide participants with practical experience in completing and documenting a designPH model for building certification. Course Objectives:
- Create a 3D model of a building
- Determine key building characteristics, including areas, volumes, and shading
- Learn how to use the designPH interface and access the components database
- Assign building components and performance data to the building model
- Calculate a simplified annual energy balance for the building
- Learn how to iteratively refine the model to achieve the Passive House criteria.
- Export building characteristics and import them into PHPP
- Capture and document data and calculations for Passive House certification
Intended Audience: architects, developers, self-builders, building energy modellers and other building professionals. Prerequisites: Participants must have a familiarity with Excel and basic building heat loss calculations. Costs: $295. This includes coffee, snacks, and lunch. Note that all course fees are processed by Peel Passive House Consulting. Optional Course Extension: Course participants wishing to further refine their modelling skills will have the opportunity to submit models they complete after the course. Feedback will be provided on these models at an additional charge per model. Continuing Education: This course is approved by the AIA for 6 LU Hour. This course is being offered in collaboration with the following organizations.
Location: Breakwater School, 856 Brighton Avenue, Portland 04102
Course Times: 9am – 5pm
Course Requirements: Laptop with PHPP v8.5, Google Sketchup 8, designPH v.1.0.0, and MS Excel (or equivalent), all preloaded. designPH can be purchased at one of the following vendors: FourSevenFive